College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences

CAHNRS Coug Connections: Brandon Knodel

Each week, we will showcase one of our CAHNRS Ambassadors, a student leadership organization that encourages students to pursue higher education and serves as a liaison between the college and the greater community. This week, we’re featuring Brandon Knodel, a senior from Lind, Wash.

Brandon Knodel, unveiled Feb. 26, 2017 as Butch T. Coug.

UPDATE March 1, 2017:

Brandon was recently unveiled as Butch T. Cougar for the 2016-17 season. This is a tremendous honor, as well as a huge commitment. We asked Brandon a few questions, which he has kindly answered here. Go Cougs!

What was your favorite part of being Butch?

My favorite part about being Butch was definitely the fans. I was able to see the best in every single Coug fan. I loved being able to see people’s smiles and laughs. I loved every picture, selfie, high five, and hug. You could tell the passion each Coug had for the crimson and grey. It made the whole experience worth it every time I put the head on. Every experience I had was different and an adventure. Coug fans are the best.

What was it like being on the field for events, or leading those cheers?

Incredible. Something I really cannot describe. Growing up a Coug and idolizing Butch, then actually being him, made it that much more special. The atmosphere that our fans create makes it amazing. I would get anxious every time I stepped out on the field or court. It’s a feeling that I will never forget.

How hard was it to keep the secret?

It is beyond hard to keep the secret. However, the tradition of keeping Butch a secret is extremely important to me and so worth it. Butch is so great because we never know who is behind the mask, he’s just Butch. The secret humbles you and makes you live in the present moment because no one else can know. You are able to focus on the people and moments right in front of you.

What are 1 or 2 highlights from your year being Butch? Things that really stand out, or that you’ll always remember?

One of the biggest things I’ll always remember is the first time I rode out of the tunnel on the Spyder to midfield and led 40,000 Cougs in a “Go Cougs” chant. That is a feeling like none other. I was so nervous, yet excited at the same time. Being Butch, I was able to see the true Coug in everyone. The passion and pride that we hold dear to us is indescribable. Seeing everyone’s smiles and laughs will forever fill my heart.

Why did you want to be Butch?

Honestly, it started as kind of a joke. For as long as I can remember, I have been a huge Coug fan. I come from a family of Cougs and grew up loving Butch. However, here at school, a couple of my friends were like, “Hey Brandon, you should try out for Butch! You’d be good at it!” So, I tried out thinking I’d never get it but, sure enough, I did. And it consumed me. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would become my life and something I would grow a deep passion for. I love being a Coug.

Any advice for the next Butch?

Enjoy every single minute of it. Relish in the moment. It goes by in a blink of an eye. Keep your head down and do it for the fans because they deserve the best. Don’t ever do it for yourself. Our fans are the real backbone of Cougar Nation. Focus on the fan.

Ok, back to Brandon’s original profile, posted in September, 2016:

Brandon Knodel
Brandon Knodel

What are you studying?

I’m majoring in Agricultural Technology and Production Management, with a minor in Business Administration

What is a fun fact about you?

I drink my coffee black.

Why WSU?

WSU has always held a special place in my heart. I love everything from Cougar football Saturdays to the pride around campus. WSU is a place for everyone.

What is special about being a CAHNRS Coug?

The special part about being a CAHNRS Coug is the amount of opportunity available. There is always something on campus going on or for you to participate it. The staff and faculty with in CAHNRS truly care about your success and want you to have the very best.

Where do you want to be (professionally or personally) 10 years after you graduate?

Wow, 10 years from now? 10 years from now, I would like to see myself as a successful individual who is passionate about what I am doing and making a difference in this world.

Favorite class you have taken within CAHNRS so far? Why?

Crop Science 305 – learning how to calibrate sprayers and identify weeds are skills that have real life applications in an area that I am passionate about.

What extracurricular activities have you been involved in within CAHNRS (excluding ambassadors)?

AgTM Club, Econ Club

Favorite Ferdinand’s flavor of ice cream?

Apple Cup Crisp

CAHNRS is more than agriculture. With 24 majors, 19 minors, and 27 graduate level programs, we are one of the largest, most diverse colleges at WSU. CAHNRS Cougs are making a difference in the wellbeing of individuals, families, and communities, improving ecological and economic systems, and advancing agricultural sciences.

Featured Event

Illustration of a woman holding wine near a music band. Text over the image reads: The Auction of Washington Wines Wine and Music Festival, WSU Tri-Cities Campus, June 10, Saturday 6 pm. Learn More. Support Wine.

FACTS

Diversity

With 24 majors, 19 minors, and 27 graduate level programs, CAHNRS is one of the largest, most diverse colleges at WSU.

Scholarships

CAHNRS students are awarded more than $600,000 in scholarships annually.

Discovery

CAHNRS leads in discovery through its high-quality research programs. In 2014, CAHNRS received research funding exceeding $81.5M. This accounts for nearly 40% of all research funding received by WSU.  

Opportunity

CAHNRS has 39 student clubs and organizations to enhance student experiences and opportunities.

Job Opportunities

4-H Youth Development Program Associate Director (pdf)
Position # 124955

CAHNRS Academic Programs

Fall undergradsUndergraduate Studies

Check out what our academic departments and programs have to offer, from Interior Design to Agriculture to Wildlife Ecology. We have 13 departments and schools to prepare you for your chosen career.

Grad student dogGraduate Studies

Students have a variety of options to pursue masters and doctoral degrees. Many of these have very specific background requirements, so we suggest exploring the individual programs for academic guidelines.

CTLLCenter for
Transformational
Learning & Leadership

The CTLL is a student, faculty, alumni and industry partner collaboration for high quality learning and leadership beyond the classroom.

Inspiring Teamwork - Arron Carter pic

Inspiring Teamwork – Arron Carter

It started with a car, a ’69 Corvette Stingray to be exact.

When Arron Carter, the director of the Washington State University Winter Wheat Breeding Program, was in high school his agricultural teacher had a ’69 Corvette Stingray. Every year this teacher would let his favorite senior take the car to senior prom. Carter had never taken an agriculture class before, but he knew he wanted to drive that car.

“Well, if I’m going to be the favorite senior,” Carter said to himself, “I’d better start taking some ag classes.”…

Read More: Inspiring Teamwork – Arron Carter

CAHNRS Office of Research

Agricultural Research Center

Mission Statement

The goal of the Washington State University CAHNRS Office of Research is to promote research beneficial to the citizens of Washington. The Office of Research recognizes its unique land-grant research mission to the people of Washington and their increasing global connections. The CAHNRS Office of Research provides leadership in discovering and applying knowledge through high-quality research that contributes to a safe and abundant food, fiber, and energy supply while enhancing the sustainability of agricultural and natural resource systems.

Research Update

Washington State University’s screening continues to find no evidence of glyphosate herbicide resistance in Pacific Northwest wheat varieties

In each of the last three years (2014, 2015 and 2016), the field screening process has involved over 80 varieties, 2,000 advanced breeding lines and more than 35,000 individual plots from WSU cereal breeding and variety evaluation programs. Collectively, varieties included in these trials represent over 95 percent of the wheat acreage planted in Washington.

Featured Research

Want fries with that? Stealth potato virus threatens industry

Newly emerged viruses threaten the U.S. potato industry, including potatoes grown in Washington. Several newly evolved strains of the disease known as potato virus Y, or PVY, can render potatoes unmarketable and reduce crop yield. What’s worse is the new viruses are particularly difficult to detect with the naked eye.

Horned larks undeterred by efforts to protect canola seedlings

Horned larks are turning up in droves near Lind, Wash. and decimating newly planted winter and spring canola fields despite multiple efforts to deter them.

In search of the perfect steak

Imagine taking your first bite of a $40 rib-eye steak—only to chew on beef that’s as tough as shoe leather. Talk about disappointment! “A tough steak is not a pleasant experience,” says Frank Hendrix, a WSU Extension Educator and animal scientist.

Workshops to discuss changing water forecast for Columbia Basin

How changing water availability in the Columbia River Basin could affect people, farms and fish is the focus of a series of free public workshops in June. Scheduled for June 21, 22 and 23 in Richland, Wenatchee and Spokane, the workshops give a first look at the 2016 Columbia River Basin Long-Term Water Supply and Demand Forecast.

After landslide, communities rewarded for resilience

Two years after the deadly landslide that devastated the Oso, Wash., area, the towns of Darrington and Arlington were announced April 27 as finalists in the America’s Best Communities (ABC) competition.

$11M funds food safety tech transfer to markets

WSU aims to meet growing demand for safe, high quality, additive-free packaged foods thanks to two recent investments in innovative food processing technology based on microwave energy.

Alumni & Friends

Welcome to alumni, friends, and supporters of the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS). You are a core part of our CAHNRS Coug family and have made major impacts in our college, communities, and throughout the world. We recognize only a handful of them here.

More than 9,000 alumni and friends contributed to our Campaign for WSU, the most ambitious fundraising effort in university history. The campaign concluded in 2015 with $215 million and endless amounts of impact. Here is a glimpse of what transpired in the Campaign.

Although the campaign concluded, momentum continues to make a difference in our land-grant mission and education. On-going investment in time and resources from our alumni and friends helps to advance our best programs, attract the most talented faculty, and support our brightest students.

There are so many ways to stay involved with CAHNRS. Share your news in the college’s magazine ReConnect. Get involved with student success or support our college as whole by making a gift to the CAHNRS Excellence Fund.

Contact Us

CAHNRS Alumni & Development
PO Box 646228
Pullman, WA 99164-6228
PH: 509-335-2243
alumni.friends@wsu.edu

Faculty & Staff

Important Dates and Deadlines

A-Z Index of Faculty and Staff Resources:

• Click letters to sort alphabetically
  • Click individual items to view or download

Contact Dean’s Office:
Hulbert 421
PO Box 646242
Pullman WA 99164-6242
cahnrs.deans@wsu.edu
509-335-4561

Lisa Johnson:
Assistant to the Dean
Hulbert 421C
PO Box 646242
Pullman WA 99164-6242
janowski@wsu.edu
509-335-3590

How many varieties of wheat has WSU developed?

Correct!

Incorrect

Sentence or two with more info about the subject.