Ferdinand’s Turns 60: Ferdinand’s Ice Cream Shoppe turns 60 years old Wednesday, September 24! We take a look at the birthday celebration and the history of the famous ice cream and Cougar Gold Cheese. (4 Minutes, 4 Mb mp3)
Pierce to be new ASA President: Washington State University Director of Precision Agriculture Systems Fran Pierce begins duties as President of the American Society of Agronomy in January. Hear how he became interested in the presidency and what he hopes to accomplish in his three-year term. (3 Minutes, 30 Seconds, 3 Mb mp3)
The Northwest Grape Foundation Service is dedicated to insuring that growers have the clean plant material they need to keep Washington’s wine industry thriving. Listen to a 3:20 podcast (3 Mb), or download a 1:00 version for your radio show (1 Mb).
Vineyard Cover Crops – as vineyard managers seek to incorporate sustainable management practices, WSU’s Mercy Olmstead’s research contributes to their efforts. (1 Mb, 1 minute MP3)
Women and Agriculture Conference – “Cultivating Our Reality” (1 Mb, 1 minute MP3)
eXtension Web Site Launches. (1 Mb mp3)
Harbertson on Tannis: Making great wine requires a good working knowledge of organic chemistry, and especially of tannins, those compounds that give red wines their distinctive mouth feel. WSU’s James Harbertson is studying tannins in Washington wines in order to continually improve the quality of the state’s reputation for premium products. (1 Mb mp3)
WSU Hosts 4-H Know Your Government Virtual Caucus: The WSU campus in Pullman was the host site for a virtual statewide conference this week for the 4-H Know Your Government Program. The caucus was to put issues on the table that will be discussed at the statewide conference in Olympia in mid-February. Story is 90 seconds. (1.4 Mb mp3)
Washington State University’s Markus Keller has produced research that has turned the wine industry on its ear. His research, published in a cover article in the Journal of Experimental Botany, proved that wine grapes can be irrigated in the ripening phase without reducing grape quality, an extremely beneficial finding for the Washington wine industry. Story is 60 seconds. (1 Mb mp3)
News: WSU to Partner with Walter Clore Wine and Culinary Center to Highlight Washington Agriculture
PROSSER, Wash. – Washington State University will join forces with those leading the creation of the Walter Clore Wine and Culinary Center at Prosser to highlight the breadth, depth and quality of all aspects of Washington agriculture. MP3, 1 minute, 1 Mb
News: Literacy Project
A nearly $1 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will allow major expansion of a Washington State University Extension program aimed at increasing literacy among Latino childcare providers – MP3, 1 minute, 1 Mb
Flood Safety and Recovery Public Service Annoucements
Please download these important public service announcements from WSU Extension. Contact the WSU CAHNRS and Extension news team for more information, including experts willing to be interviewed or provide additional information.
- The federal government has extended three agricultural disaster assistance programs to include damages suffered by farmers and ranchers in Western Washington in the recent December floods. The announcement gives brief information about the eligibility for these programs. This PSA was produced in conjunction with the USDA Farm Service Agency office in Spokane. (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Reporting Farm and Ranch Losses (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Small Business and Individual Flood Recovery Loans (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Wet Hay Safety – there is a danger of spotaneous combustion in hay bales that were dampened by flooding (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Flooding Resources on the Web (30 sec. PSA in MP3 format; 500k)
- Food Safety after Flooding, Part 1 (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Food Safety after Flooding, Part 2 (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Livestock Safety after Flood, Part 1 (I min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Livestock Safety after Flood, Part 2 (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Identifying Lost Animals (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
- Disposal of Animal Carcasses (1 min. PSA in MP3 format; 1 Mb)
Food Safety in a Minute
Looking for our series on food safety? It’s right here!
Las Noticias En Español
Instrucción de aplicador de pesticida – la noticia en Español, MP3, 1 minuto, 1 megabyte
La Fundación Bill & Melinda Gates otorga $967,000 para ayudar a proveedoras de cuidado de niños latinos (guarderías infantiles) a mejorar el nivel de preparación escolar – la noticia en Español, MP3, 1 minuto, 1 megabyte
Video: Podcasting in Plain English – Despite being around for years, podcasting is often misunderstood. This video is our way of building awareness and hopefully adoption of a technology that any computer user can use.
Podcasting 101 – A PowerPoint presentation (in PDF format) by Jeff Mannix.
Podcasting Basics – an archived training session (presented in Breeze and playable on any computer with Flash installed) created and presented by students at U. Penn.
Audio Editing Software
- Acid Express – this is the free, “baby” version of Sony’s pro-quality audio editor. Though a “lite” version, it has multitrack capability and allows you to save your projects in MP3 format.
- Audacity – a free audio editor for Windows.
- Goldwave – a trial version is available.
Sound and Music Sources
- The Freesound Project – library of Creative Commons-licensed sounds (not music)
- ccMixter – Creative Commons music
- Flash Kit – sound effects
- Podcast Bumper Music – bumpers are the short musical intros and outros heard in radio programs
- Four Bees Free Media – music and more
- Podsafe Audio – as described!
- Wikipedia has an archive of Creative Commons-licensed music