McClaskey 201, Vancouver
- Ph.D. Child and Family Development, University of Georgia, 1996
- M.S. Family and Child Development, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1992
- B.A. Behavioral Science, Erskine College, 1990
- I am currently conducting qualitative research on the Hutterites to determine parenting and family relationship patterns. This research involves quality and quantity time in the field, living with participants.
- Secondarily, I am involved in a multi-state longitudinal project assessing the effects of poverty on the health and family relationships of women and children in rural areas. This is a mixed methods study to take place over a five year period. Data will also be compared to the previous wave of this project which completed in 2009.
- Immigration and social inclusion. WSU Vancouver Diversity Council Mini-Grant. ($2,630). Role: Principal Investigator. November 2016-May 2017
- Empowering youth to overcome hunger. Global Ministries. ($12,000). PI: Mary Katherine Deen. Role: Co-Investigator. September 2016-June 2017.
- Understanding rural low-income families through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. WSU Vancouver Mini-Grant. ($4,000). Co-Investigators: Yoshie Sano and Suzanne Smith. April 2016-May 2017.
- Burundi 4-H Sister Schools. Washington State 4-H Foundation. ($5,000). Co-Investigators: Mary Katherine Deen, Kevin Wright, Lauren Hrncirik, and Suzanne Smith. June 2015-February 2016
Soliday, E., & Smith, S. (in press). Teaching university students about evidence based perinatal care: Effects on learning and future care preferences. Journal of Perinatal Education.
Hamon, R.R., & Smith, S.R. (2014). The discipline of family science and the continuing need for innovation. Family Relations, 63(3), 309-322.
Sano, Y., Smith, S., & Lanigan, J. (2011). Predicting presence and level of nonresident fathers’ involvement in infants’ lives: Mothers’ Perspective. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 52(5), 350-368.
Smith, S.R., & Ingoldsby, B. (2009). The role of discipline in Hutterite child rearing. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 37(3), 284-297.
Ingoldsby, B., & Smith, S.R. (2005). Public school teachers perspectives on the contemporary Hutterite family. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 36(2), 249-265.
Smith, S.R., & Ingoldsby, B. (2005). Courtship and moral reasoning of Hutterian youth. Communal Societies, 25, 113-126.
Soliday, E., Garofalo, J.P., Smith, S.R., & Waner, R.R.P. (2004). Depression and antidepressant use in carcinoid cancer patients. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 9(2), 80-90.
Soliday, E., Garofalo, J.P., Smith, S.R., & Warner, R.R.P. (2004). Psychosocial functioning of carcinoid cancer patients: Test of a stress and coping medicated model. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 9(3), 156-171.