Washington State University

School of the Environment

Watershed Lab

Steffen Center


Earth Science/Geology

Financial Support

Financial support for graduate students is most commonly available in the form of either a teaching assistantship or research assistantship. If you have arrived at WSU without funding and wish to be considered for future funding opportunities, you should submit a written request to the Graduate Assoc.director?, John Wolff. There are also fellowships available which are listed below. 

Teaching Assistantships

If you have been awarded a TA position, you will have already received a letter stating the term of that appointment. Teaching assistantships are state-supported, half-time, nine month positions available to students with strong academic records. Graduate students on teaching assistantships work approximately 20 hours per week in teaching laboratory sections, grading homework, or answering questions during office hours. Teaching assistants may aid in courses that are in their sub-discipline areas.

Research Assistantships

Stipends are also available for graduate research assistantships, in which the work conducted is on an externally funded research project. Research assistantships have been funded by external agencies such as the National Science Foundation or the Environmental Protection Agency to name a few. If you have been awarded an RA position upon admission, you will have already received a letter with information regarding the terms of that appointment and the faculty member who has agreed to provide funding. Graduate research assistantships are half-time appointments, and may, but not always, cover the summer months in addition to the academic year.  In many cases, the results of the work are applied to the research assistant’s thesis.

Hourly Wage Positions

The selection process for awarding graduate teaching and research assistantships is highly competitive. For students who are not awarded research or teaching assistantships, hourly wage positions may be available to provide partial financial support through the School of the Environment. Work closely with both the graduate coordinator and your academic mentor to keep informed of future funding opportunities.


Environmental Science

  • Phil and Neva Abelson Fellowship in Environmental Science in the life and physical sciences is intended to help recruit new, outstanding graduate students. One fellowship is available per academic year. Students must be incoming, full-time graduate students.
  • Boeing Endowed Graduate Fellowship in Environmental Science was established by the Boeing Company to provide support for graduate students pursuing training in environmental studies. This fellowship stipend may be used by the recipient for such things as tuition, fees, subsistence, research expenses and other educationally related costs and may be renewed each year. The fellowships are for US$1,000.
  • Robert Lane Fellowship in Environmental Sciences was established by Robert and by L.W. “Bill” and Jean Lane, to foster education and public knowledge and involvement in environmental sciences. The endowment provides funds for second year graduate students to help with research projects, travel or extraordinary personal needs. Students are required to write a letter of interest for this fellowship.


  • Charles D. Campbell Endowment is available to graduate students whose field of study is petrology.
  • James W. Crosby Memorial Scholarship is available to graduate students whose field of study is hydrology.

Natural Resource Science

The school maintains a scholarship file and also posts information regarding job opportunities on the department bulletin boards and in room 130. Talk with Marlene if you wish to pursue scholarships.

For highly qualified applicants, graduate fellowships are available from such agencies as the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense, and the Environmental Protection Agency. Graduate fellowships are highly competitive, but provide graduate students with a high degree of freedom to pursue creative research while in graduate school. Graduate applicants should work with the faculty to apply for such fellowships.

Helpful Links

WSU Graduate School

For more information on Awards, Assistantships and Fellowships for WSU Graduate School visit:


Student Employment Center

The Student Employment Center have opportunities for students seeking on and off-campus employment, non-students seeking temporary on-campus employment, and employers looking to fill their work-study and non-work-study jobs. 
» Learn More

Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Services

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Services provides information regarding financial support and availablescholarship opportunities for students. » Learn More

[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]

School of the Environment, PO Box 642812, Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-2812, 509-335-3009, Contact Us
© 2017 Washington State University | Accessibility | Policies | Copyright | Log in