Loyal H. Davis lived in Sumner, Washington and attended WSU, where his brother Harold was also a student. He joined AKL fraternity and was a 1932 graduate in chemistry. He temporarily worked as a hospital technician in the Pierce County Hospital in those days of the Depression. He was then a temporary Civil Service appointee with the U.S. Department of Entomology in Richmond, Virginia. There he studied tobacco beetles, which led Loyal to a position as assistant chemist in the lab of Philip Morris, Inc. Loyal retired from the company in 1977 after serving as director of quality control, staff assistant to the senior vice president, and chief of manufacturing. In his community, Loyal served as chairman of the Virginia Section, American Chemical Society and was the first president of the Richmond Area American Society of Quality Control. He was an enthusiastic gardener and grower of orchids, a confirmed fisherman, and a trustee of his church. He was married to the former Helen Stephenson of Petersburg, Virginia, the father of three children, and the grandfather of seven.
The purpose of this fund is to award annual graduate and post-doctoral fellowships in the Institute of Biological Chemistry. Funds may also be used occasionally to support graduate student travel and research.