No summer slowdown in CAHNRS

A person crouches in a field. Others stand behind in the distance.
I am looking forward to attending this year’s Lind Field Day.

Thanks for the feedback on the photo by my sister that was included in last week’s post. I have passed on the comments to her. She has many nice photos from traveling around the world to places where the weather cooperated a bit more than it did during this trip.

I need to clarify: When I say “reunion weekend,” I am referring to the Crimson, Diamond, Golden, and Platinum Grads events. Having worked reunion events during my days at Cornell Dining, I refer to all alumni events as “reunions.” I received feedback from a couple of readers who didn’t know what reunion week was.

Regardless of what we call it, I am excited to meet some of our alumni this coming weekend! Unlike the reunion events I took part in as a Cornell University student, this time I get to engage as a participant and not as a member of the catering team. I recall reunion weekends as exhausting after moving around from one event to another, setting up, serving, and then breaking down the events.

A huge “thank you” to Rep. Dan Newhouse for recognizing the 50th anniversary of the Extension Master Gardener Program in Washington on the U.S. House floor! I missed the Master Gardener Program 50th anniversary celebration in Prosser, Wash., on May 20, but look forward to the upcoming event on June 10 in Wenatchee, Wash. I will miss the celebration in Mount Vernon, Wash., in July as well.

I am doing my best to make it to field days this year. While I will miss the turfgrass event, the Lind Field Day and one of the two forestry field days are on my calendar. July is quite hectic with a week of vacation, more Hill visits, and the Taste of Washington in Washington, D.C., so Scot Hulbert is likely to attend the raspberry field day. The Mount Vernon Northwestern Washington Research & Extension Center has a big event in August that I plan to attend.

Congratulations to Kristen Johnson on her election as the incoming president for the American Society of Animal Science! Kristen and many others across CAHNRS are headed off to professional society meetings over the summer. I have signed quite a few international travel requests of late, too, for both professional society meetings and other work-related travel abroad. Clearly, the CAHNRS team around the state does not take summers off!

This week I am home every night, with a visit to a partner in Ritzville, Wash., a meeting with the AgWest Farm Credit team in Spokane, Wash., and the reunion events at the end of the week. It is nice to be home for a bit and enjoy this good weather before travel picks up again next week.

I hope everyone had a nice long weekend and that you are finding some downtime throughout the summer, despite the busy weeks!