Words of Wisdom
… from someone who’s been through it!
Travis Frost, USDA/ARS Administrative Unit Manager, moved 8 offices where he and his staff had been located for 20 years, to a single conference room about 1/4 of the space in about 40 days.
He recommends a few Critical Questions to ask:
- What files can be recycled, trashed, or must be shredded?
- What files require long-term retention and consolidate into well-marked file storage?
- What files will require access at the temporary office (or lab).
- Ask if you have access to enough trash, recycling, and shred bins? If not, how do I get more?
- What office furniture and equipment will I need in my temporary space? Can I use what is currently available in Clark Hall instead of moving my furniture there?
- What is the minimum amount of office furniture, file storage, office supplies and equipment that I need to fully function in the temporary office space?
- What items will not be used in the Temporary or Permanent space and need to go to Surplus?
- What calendar days do I set aside to physically move items to temporary space, storage, or surplus collection points?
- Who do I communicate with when bins are full, when help is needed?
- Where are the carts, tape, boxes, etc?